The Kayak Launch area near the Manatee Observation Deck is open for public access. Commercial ventures have preferential use of the area twice daily on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Please use Courtesy during times of high traffic so that all may have safe entrance and exit from the water at the ramp.
Please use trash containers on site and or pack out all extra waste materials.
This 880-acre conservation area provides access to the trailhead 0.5 mile from main entrance leading to over 7 miles of trails. These moderate walks lead through pine flatwoods and hydric hammock habitats, as well along the restored Saltmarsh habitats. Hikers will also see cabbage palm hammocks and hardwood hammocks, with mangrove forests and marshes fringing the Indian River Lagoon. The interior marsh ponds and borrow lakes make great spots for canoeing, kayaking, and fishing. The canoe/kayak trails invite a relaxing way for visitors to observe area wildlife. Cycling and horseback riding are permitted on the established roads and bike trails only. Please do not ride bikes on hiking trails.
Acquired and managed in partnership with St Johns River Water Management District
over 880 acres
- Bicycling (on dirt roadways only)
- Horseback Riding Trails (roadways only)
- Fishing (lake, Indian River Lagoon)
- Hiking (1.3-mile trail, 1.5-mile trail)
- Paddling (2.3-mile loop, 3.0-mile run)
- Wildlife Observation
Pine flatwoods, cabbage palm hammocks, hardwood hammocks, mangrove forests, and salt marshes
Gopher tortoise, bobcat, eastern indigo snake. In Sams Creek, the west Indian manatee, bottlenose dolphin, alligator. Listed in State of Florida Great Florida Birding Trail for American Wigeon, migratory Blue-winged Teal, migratory songbirds, waders, shorebirds, Woodstork, and Osprey.
Advance notice needed for special accommodations
- No Hunting
- All Plants and Animals are protected; do not remove
- Alligators and Manatees are common, do not disturb or feed
- Take necessary precautions for mosquitos during summer months
- Vehicles on established roads only
- Park in designated areas, do not block roads or gates
- No ATVs
- No Airboats or gas powered boats
- Electric motors allowed only in North Borrow Lake
- No Pets, except Service Dogs (F.S. 413.08)
- No Smoking
- Alcohol prohibited
- Stay on the trail for personal safety and protection of the natural environment
- Drive with care, being certain not to create unnecessary road erosion
- Any Vehicles remaining at closing (Dusk) will be locked in